4.10.2010

Yummy Coconut Pie

Cocnut and I have always had a love/hate relationship. I used to hate the stuff, in fact I'd always tell people I was allergic in order to get them to not give it to me.  But oh how our tastes change as we grow up! I now LOVE coconut, especially coconut pie. 

This past Christmas I went to visit my family in SC and my grandmother (yes, we have to call her grandmother :)) served this amazingly wonderful coconut custard pie. I was in heaven! Each bite was a taste of two of my faves, coconut and egg custard--Yummy!  I can taste it now just thinking about it. So I went on the hunt for a similar recipe one day when I wasn't able to get ahold of her. I went to my alltime favorite place to look for recipes--the big oven app on my Iphone (also found at bigoven.com). I stumbled accross a recipe called Best Ever Cocnut Pie, and boy is it ever the best! (sorry grandmother). I add more coconut than what it calls for but man is that recipe amazing.  The best part is quite possibly the fact that it makes it's own crust when you cook it, so it doesn't require you to make or buy a crust! And other than coconut, chances are you already have the ingredients in your pantry.

Here's the recipe, please remember that it's not mine, I'm not sure the exact link go it but if you search "best ever coconut pie" on bigoven.com you'll be able to find it. Happy cooking!

  Eggs Beaten

1/2 c Butter 
1/2 c Flour 
1 3/4 c Sugar 
2 c Whole Milk 
1 1/4 c Coconut 
1/4 tsp Salt 
1/2 tsp Vanilla 
1/4 tsp Baking Powder 

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large pie pan with canola oil.

In a bowl mix together the eggs and butter. Add in the flour, coconut, salt, vanilla, sugar, baking powder and milk. Pour the mixture into the pie pan being careful not to overfill. Place pie pan in oven and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the center is set.

This pie creates it's own crust but you can vary the recipe by filling two 9" frozen pie shells with this filling and baking approximately 40 minutes or until set.

Note: I always make sure I have a liner under this pie when I bake it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'd love to know what my readers have to think! (please keep them pg, those deemed inapropriate by me will not be displayed)